Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Homemade Wheat Bread

The first year of marriage I couldn't turn out a decent loaf of bread. I had been told to use my mom -in-law's recipe, but even that failed. My loaves never raised and would turn out with a rock hard crust.... they worked wonderfully for doorstops and paper weights! We tried new yeast, but that didn't work. I tried several recipes, all of which only produced more doorstops.

My hubby and I were visiting his aunt one day while she was making bread. We mentioned the problem we were having with the bread. His aunt told us that we were giving our yeast a good enough start. She then gave us a demonstration. We hadn't been putting the yeast in warm enough water, and we hadn't been mixing it before letting it sit for a long enough time. When you start your yeast it should look foamy before you put it with the other ingredients. My mom-in-law's recipe is definitely the best, now that I know how to start the yeast! Here it is!

Wheat Bread
makes 4 loaves (I usually cut it in half)

5 1/2 c. warm water
2 TB. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. honey
2 TB. salt
7 c. wheat (grinds to 9 cups wheat flour)
5 c. white flour

Start yeast: stir yeast and sugar into warm water and let sit at least 5 minutes or until foathy.

In a large mixing bowl combine oil, honey, and salt. Add wheat and white flours. Mix in water/yeast mixture. Mix until all the dough comes away from the edges of the bowl. Dough should be a little bit sticky, but not gooey, if it isn't add more flour until desired texture is reached. Allow dough to mix (or knead) for 5 minutes. Let raise until double. Knead down and form into four loaves; place in greased bread pans. Let rise until loaves reach the top or the pans (or one inch above top of pans). Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. When loaves are done, immediately remove them from pans and set on rake to cool.

1 comment: