Friday, August 6, 2010

Row, Row, Row Your Boat!



I once went canoeing when I was teen at a church girls' camp for a week. I was put into the back of the canoe, with no advice on how to steer. I hated it! I didn't stay at it for more than 3 minutes before I jumped back into the lake we were on.

My hubby loves to canoe. He had had plans of taking me the day we got engaged, but we ended up calling a LOT of people that day. Last summer I worked at a girls camp. I avoided the lake at all costs. Apparently I am a big sissy. Well, about a month ago I was feeling daring. I decided to try something new, so I set a few goals to make sure I continued to try something new. That same day I bought tickets for a canoe and dinner event to surprise my hubby. He was suprised! I was wanting to go canoing?!? WHAT?!?! I think that made him more excited than going canoing himself.

So the big day rolled around. It also happened to be the first real day of summer in the frigid region we live in. Another couple we are friends with were also going on the adventure with us. Everyone in the group loaded up the canoes and we headed off to the lake.

At the lake, Hubby and I climbed into the canoe. I quickly claimed the front in hopes that it would be less frustrating than my prior canoe experience. It was better! We spent time racing other couples and trying to flip canoes that had tipped over. After a while Hubby told me that it was my turn to steer as we were going to race with the girls steering. Well, I wasn't the only girl that struggled with steering. There were about three of us girls who had our canoes going in circles. Finally, my hubby steered us to the finish line.... going backwards! After that our friends, W and S, switched thing around with us. The boys (hubby and W) went in one canoe, while the girls (me and S) went in another canoe. The boys wanted to play rougher than us girls did, so they headed off to try and capsize and terrorize other canoes. I ended up steering our canoe. S was much more patient with me trying to figure out how to steer.... probably because we weren't racing anyone, but we were just floating about. I finally figured it out! I was so excited! The boys, Hubby and W, decided to link up all of the canoes and paddle everyone about. Eventually we all headed back to shore. We learned dinner wouldn't be ready for 30 more minutes. Everyone people stayed on shore but Hubby and I decided to hop into seperate canoes and go out again. Let's just say..... I LOVE CANOING!!! Who would have thought?!?! I can't wait to go again!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment