Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What was Popeye thinking?

Spinach: the dreaded, leafy green of most children's lives. For some
reason, many children set their minds against this veggie. The cooked
form is especially dreaded and refused to eat it. I remember thinking,
"Spinach! YUCK!!!!" The funny thing was I liked it raw; raw is my preferred
form of most vegetables. I remember eating cooked spinach a couple of
times. The first time I was blocked by a preset dislike. The second time it
was freezer burned... which didn't help its cause.

My husband and I recently received spinach in our co-op produce
basket. I had always enjoyed spinach in salads, but my hubby wanted to
cook some of it. I'll admit, I thought it was a waste of perfectly good
spinach to cook it, but I consented to the experiment.
My husband commenced with cooking the spinach. I washed the
poor veggie that was to be executed by boiling in hot water. I turned it
over to my husband, the executer of vegetables. He filled a large silver
pot with hot water and set it on the range. Without so much as a parting
word he dropped the spinach into the pot, sending it to its cooked death.
The spinach turned a beautiful, rich, green color in the
shimmering, silver pot. I still wasn't convinced; just because something
is pretty doesn't mean it’s tasty! You can’t judge a book by it cover, or a
vegetable’s taste by its color. My hubby kept calling me over to witness
the death of the leafy vegetable, and to admire its beautiful color. It was
more beautiful in death than it was in life. At least it would die a lovely
color.



My hubby pulled the spinach out of the pot, and deposited some
on my plate. Then my hubby told me the secret to eating spinach, butter
and salt. I spread some butter on to the slimy, yet beautiful greens. I
sprinkled it with the crystal colored salt. I watched my husband devour
his portion of the emerald veggie. I scooped some onto my fork, open my
mouth, and deposited the greens.




I closed my eyes; I opened my eyes in
surprise!

Cooked spinach is amazing! Especially when it is fresh!
The following Monday, I planted two sections of my little box
garden with my new favorite veggie, especially in COOKED form,
SPINACH!!!! YUM!!! Once again I've learned that sometimes it pays to give
something another chance (my hubby is grateful I gave him a chance of
asking me on another first date after I canceled the first, first date). So
the moral of the story is this: Never give up trying new things, and always
give things multiple chances before deciding that they are undesirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment