Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Learning to Tread


When I was a kid, I actually didn't mind swimming. In fact, I kind of enjoyed it. Somewhere along the path to adulthood I misplaced my former joy in swimming. I think I remember where I started laying it to the side of the pool.

It was 5th or 6th grade and our entire elementary school was taking swimming lessons. We would load up the school bus and head for the local swimming pool. My friends were all placed in the top swimming groups. I was placed in one of the lowest swimming groups. I was humiliated. I was with kids that were younger than me, and could swim better than me. When learning to tread water I failed miserably. I never accomplised treading water.Everyday I came away feeling embarrassed. I think it was then that I started to say that swimming wasn't for me. Plus, I really didn't enjoy opening my eyes underwater. This dislike that was later aided by needing glasses or contacts to see.... which I couldn't wear underwater. I started also to make excuses about how putting sunscreen all over my redhead's ,fair skinned body was a huge hassel. By the time I reached highschool I rarely went swimming. Once I reached college I had pretty much stopped. The excuses continued as I went to work at a summer camp by a Minnesota lake. I just refused to go in or near the water. This dislike of the water has kept me from participating in many activities. It is beginning to hinder living my life to the fullest.

Two days ago I decide to ask my husband if he wanted to go swimming at the pool on campus. He had to ask, "What?", as this is not something I usually suggest doing, but rather it is something I usually avoid doing. He agreed to go, and we decided that the next day would be the day.

Once we arrived at the pool and headed for the dressing rooms, I had to put aside my glasses. DANG! I forgot how bad my eyesight is! I headed out for the pool, and because I couldn't see my husband, or anything else for that matter, I went ahead and climbed in. BRRR!!! That pool was definitely cooler than the hot springs that I grew up siwmming in! Eventually my husband came out and dived in. Notice I climbed in and he dived in? There a big difference in our level of comfort in water. I decided that I was going to learn to tread water. After a few tips, my husband left me to my practicing and started playing water basketball with some other people. After a while I started getting the hang of treading water. So there it is folks, something I've never done before. I treaded water!!!!! After ten years of feeling like I couldn't do it, I did it!!!!

We also made friends with another couple at the pool.... an additional benefit to trying new things! Now, if I can just get myself to keep going. As Dory says in FINDING NEMO...."Just keep swimming! Just keeping swimming!"

No comments:

Post a Comment