Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's Your Favorite Kind of Pie?

Where ever we go my husband is always asking people, "What's your favorite kind of pie?" People respond with Banana Cream, Razzleberry, Chocolate, Pumpkin, Chicken Pot Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb, and many over kinds. I think that perhaps the most common answer, all across the United States of America, is apple pie. It was definitely the favorite of almost all the people he asked on the D.C. metro one summer night.

So I'd never made an apple pie before this week. On Monday, my hubby called home and said, "Let's make an apple pie tonight." It was bit out of the blue, but I agreed to it. We had a whole refrigerator drawer full of apples from my in-laws apple trees that we needed to get using up.

I made the dough for the pie crust as my husband was coming home from campus. When he arrived home I peeled apples and then he sliced them up.

I had read somewhere that when making an apple pie heap up the apples really high, as they will cook down a lot. I heaped up my apples until they were sliding off the pile of apples, out of the pie dish, and onto the table. I was certain that I had enough apples for my pie. Hubby stopped me from putting the top crust on so he could take some photos for his black and white photography class. That took a while..... he had to frame the picture JUST right. Finally, he had his pictures and I could put the top crust on. This was harder than I thought it would be. After grumbling and wrestling dough for about ten minutes I had the top crust on.

We got the pie in the oven, and after about 40 minutes we started to salivate. The smell!!! It was so divine! The scents of baked apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg blended with the lingering scent of fresh, baked bread from earlier that day. When the pie was finally up, we could hardly wait for it to cool.

When we finally were able to slice the pie we discovered something. There was still a hollow space under the top crust, because the apples had indeed cooked down! I'm not sure how I could have put anymore apples in that pie. They were overflowing on to the table as I put the pie together. In spite of the hollow space the pie was still divine. Next time I will heap the apple high, build a barrier around the pile, and heap the apples even higher.

The pastry pie crust recipe and apple pie recipe I used can be found under the tab New Recipes Tried as "Pastry for Double-Crust Pie" and "Apple Pie".

No comments:

Post a Comment